Because it is a statutory requirement that everyone involved in the licensing process can demonstrate that they have successfully completed a course which satisfies the criteria laid down by Scottish Government.
By completing this SCPLH Workbook, and passing the 40 minute examination at the end of it, you will do precisely that: you will receive a qualification which has been accredited by SQA and will enable you to apply for the Personal Licence which you will need to supervise or authorise the sale of alcohol.
The SCPLH covers the syllabus set by the Scottish Government to enable candidates to understand the law in relation to:
- the roles, responsibilities and functions of Licensing Boards and Licensing Standards Officers
- the application process for a personal licence
- the application process for premises and occasional licences, mandatory & discretionary conditions
- protection of children from harm
- the content and purpose of an operating schedule and risk assessment
- drunkenness and disorderly behaviour
- licensed hours
- control of order
- the responsible retail sale of alcohol
- roles and responsibilities of the personal licence holder and the penalties relating to failure to comply with the law
- unauthorised licensable activities
- rights of entry to licensed premises
- the strengths of alcoholic drinks and the effects of alcohol on the human body
The examination for the Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders lasts 40 minutes and consists of 40 multiple choice questions drawn from the assessment criteria. In order to pass the examination candidates must answer at least 28 out of 40 questions correctly.
You can still apply for your Personal Licence, and keep it, even if you are not actually working in licensed premises. And once you have it, it is valid for 10 years - after which you can apply for it to be renewed for a further 10 years.
What you need to do now is to pass the exam. And this course book will help you to know and understand the law, and apply it properly, in your premises. You will receive an e-copy of the Workbook when you book your exam.